Blinky memorial...

Reply to topic    Saikyo Chaos Realm Forum Index » Scarlet Mirage

Blinky memorial...
Gracia
Intoxicating Cruzader

Species: Human, but with the same powers as Bison
Profession: Street Fighter Queen
Bio: Let my beauty intoxicate you :-D

Nine years ago today, I had to say goodbye to the sweetest cat I ever had - who himself, was also the first kitty of my own since I moved into my apartment and renounced my education eighteen years ago. Still miss you loads, Blinky Farrell October 13 2002 - April 12 2012.

Again, the lack of airings during Blinky's end-of-life care was the only reason I did not panic, as my family did our very best to save him - though yes, I prepared myself in my mind for if we needed to talk kittens; and I consented to if my parents made the hard decision, providing it would not be on an airing day or within a final countdown. Remember, the only past cats who required the Rainbow Bridge security were Mel (who was Blinky's successor) and then Crystal, both in 2019.

However, Blinky's episodes made me wary to leave my apartment, even as I barely pushed myself to do so. I also had to set up a makeshift barricade at the top of my stairs (I have an upstairs apartment), to stop Blinky from going down my stairs - his other symptoms included weak back legs, so, well, we worried about the dangers of him walking up and down my stairs.

But I particularly waved the red flag just after Easter that year, when Blinky had another episode... and after I cleaned up, I had run out of disinfectant. I needed more!

There was just one other problem: my parents were going to our caravan that day. Were they still home, and packing; or were they already at the caravan, thus mom might likely feel a strain in driving all the way back here even simply to check on my sick kitty - and so she might bite my head off for disrupting her caravan vacation??

I knew going and getting the disinfectant myself was a gamble not worth taking - I might come home only to have to already use it, or worse to find Blinky already died? So I took the other gamble, and phoned mom - it was good news, as she and dad were still home and packing... and she was more than happy to get me a bottle of disinfectant, and in turn to check on Blinky. Thinking mom might also spend a few hours doing grocery shopping for me, like to get me a bit of comfort food as we still worried for my sick cat... I simply retreated into my games room, and played on my PS2.

But mom arrived literally just minutes later! She said I didn't have to pay her back for the disinfectant - likely, in part, because of the worries for little Blinky; and upon checking on Blinky, she decided she and dad would take him again, this time until he fully recovered... and even decided to take him to the caravan.

I did phone later, to check on Blinky... and despite being very unwell, he was very calm and quiet, he didn't cry much (if not not at all?); and obviously, people thought he was adorable. He didn't even gripe as my parents took a detour to Telford, to get a new motorbike for my dad - lucky Blinky, fancy calling at one of my haunting grounds for games shopping! LOL

We also agreed, I would join them at the caravan on Saturday, spend a day there with my sick kitty... then we'd all go home together via the bison ranch seen in some of my old airing photos, and have dinner there. I wonder what the staff at the ranch would have thought of Blinky, then?

Sadly, that trip had to be called off - though it would be on that very Saturday, when we welcomed little Mel into the family. On the morning of April 12, I phoned my dad to check in on Blinky... and he said mom and Blinky were coming home, he said it very casually like nothing was wrong - so I figured, maybe my parents felt Blinky would recover better at their house than at the caravan? As for my going to the caravan on Saturday, what of that - perhaps it's something mom and I can discuss later?

So, I simply got on with my day. When it was bath time for me, I had just put my shampoo in... when mom came up the stairs, telling me to come and have a cuddle with my cat. I told her I couldn't come right now, as I'd just put the shampoo in - but she told me to forget my hair, and so repeated her order. I had to wrap a towel around myself, obviously... but as mom handed Blinky to me, she explained he wasn't doing so well, and "I think it's his last day". Oh no, I knew it'd come to this! As I held him, I asked mom "So what happened?" (i.e. to influence the hard decision being made) - she said he'd had another episode, I'm guessing it was really that bad for my parents to make the hard decision (even our very own Soma Cruz understood my parents' decision, when I showed him Blinky's final pictures... and he noted about poor Blinky being very skinny). I held Blinky for a few moments... then watched as mom took him down the stairs, and left with him. My poor, poor sweet Blinky boy....

After mom took Blinky, I phoned dad to say mom told me why she came home - and the point of us letting Blinky go on the Titanic anniversary didn't go unnoticed; and of course I made the sad announcement here, and resumed my bath. I did go into town that day as a bit of consolation, my friends in town were very sorry to hear - and I ended up buying a game about the Titanic!

I called to see mom the next day, even Donut Lord was there and he was sorry to hear about Blinky. As it turns out, the episode caused my parents to realise, Blinky's symptoms meant his body was shutting down on him - hence the hard decision being made.

With regard to having a new kitten, mom totally agreed yes it's best that I revert to shorthair cats from now on - she understood my concerns, which was just as well when Raul exhibited one of the same symptoms as Blinky (only his was worse, as in a sad irony he had cancer just like Raul Julia) five years later. As such, when Raul's desperate pining for Blinky prompted us to talk kittens the next day... we chose the beautiful tabby boy who I named Mel, after the Ken fan here who was then still faking a crush on me; still blissfully unaware, I thought of the kitty as mine and Mel's child together.

Of course, I also felt safe about resuming my airing prayers, the need for an airing being due to Jay having sent the signed photo of himself as Vega. That time came in Dennis Hopper Memorial Month that year, with an announcement just five days ahead on a then-newly-launched channel.

Naturally, the next day I went on the traditional first shopping trip, to announce the new airings to my friends in town and to start buying airing gifts - as well as to first try out a Spanish restaurant (which sadly closed down, during my absence...) I wanted to visit, in another of my haunting grounds. Soon after I arrived home that day, mom even dropped by to check on little Mel - she could see he was growing, by now.

Six years later, during my first airing celebration without Raul... I would note about it being the same for Raul as it was for Blinky: like Blinky, there were no airings until after we had Raul put down - and that time came in Dennis Hopper Memorial Month that year. I thus pointed this out, when mom did a BBQ during my special occasion: in my own words, "It was the same deal with Blinky boy, actually - there was no Street Fighter until after we had him put down, and that time came in May!" . Mel, in turn, got along okay with Raul's own tabby successor Yoshimoto - though obviously, Yoshimoto only knew Mel for a year...

I also mentioned Blinky near the end of Bully Koopa Month that year, when Jay was about to finally mail me the Vega figures he promised me three years earlier. When mom and I discussed about Jay sending me the figures, I said "I don't know if he still has my address, after six years..." . "Has it really been that long?" mom asked... so I reminded her, that the signed photo arrived just after Blinky was officially taken ill...

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:29 am
Andy
Kombatant

Species: Human

Rest in Peace Blinky
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:17 pm
Kisara
Convention seeker

Rest in peace

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 pm
White Knight
Balrog killer

Species: Koopa

Poor Blinky. Rest in peace.
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:59 am
Gracia
Intoxicating Cruzader

Thank you guys, Blinky was the sweetest cat I ever had. I'll never forget, how he sold himself to me!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:21 am
Andy
Kombatant

There will probably never be another Blinky for you.
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 am
Gracia
Intoxicating Cruzader

Andy wrote:
There will probably never be another Blinky for you.

Tell me about it - even Smokey (who we had euthanised, 24 years this Friday) couldn't be so sweet! He acted as a 'surrogate mom' to three of my past cats, including Simba (my second tabby, not to be confused with Kunzite's cat also named Simba) who went missing just before we let Smokey go; late tortoiseshell twins Jenny and Zelda were successors to Smokey and Simba.

Remember, mind... I only had Blinky, because Persians were the only kittens available when I moved into my apartment - but Blinky was just so sweet (and his sister -who I named Nina, after Princess Nina of Breath of Fire fame- was so shy...), mom decided right there and then I must have him! From this, we welcomed three more Persians into the family: Raul, Crystal, and Willow - even Master Haruka's mom adored Willow.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 am
Mew
Mew

Species: Mew

Mew

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:49 pm
Neo Senshi
Senshi

Species: Senshi

Rest in peace Blinky
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm
Limey Man
Tea and pretty cutlery

Profession: Queer

Persians are good looking cats but high maintenance

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:00 am
Gracia
Intoxicating Cruzader

Limey Man wrote:
Persians are good looking cats but high maintenance

Yes, but again they were the only kittens available when I moved into my apartment - however, Blinky was just too sweet, and after I had Raul mom opted to have a Persian of her own when... the time came. Sadly, that time came sooner than we thought - Zelda's cat flu kicked in again, and so Ganondorf got to her via a fatal heart attack in Vega Month 2004. Crystal was Zelda's successor.

And of course, we had Willow as a potential 'heir apparent' to Jenny, when she had her on-off skinniness problem (which obviously became purrmanent, in her final weeks) a year after we lost Zelda - but Willow went missing, in Vega Month 2009. A former college mate had a possible sighting of Willow, when he saw a cat matching her description run across the road in front of him... but nothing was heard of her since; and in Airing Month that year, I heard reports of a rumoured cat killer loose in town, as cats were found poisoned or worse from anti-freeze - I suspect Willow could have been a victim.

But no, the high maintenance was not another point taken into consideration, when mom and I agreed I should revert to shorthair cats. If not for Blinky's sickness, yes we wouldn't have objected to taking any more Persians we'd have to the groomers - though such was not needed for Crystal, as up until she became unwell, she would certainly keep her fur neat and all. A princess even to the very end!

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 pm
Last Quincy
Kombatant

I have yet to experience the joy of owning a persian cat
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:57 pm

Reply to topic    Saikyo Chaos Realm Forum Index » Scarlet Mirage All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: